Alfie Atkins is an ordinary boy who lives with his dad in a suburb – somewhere in the world. He’s not big. He’s not strong. But he’s braver than you might think! The Alfie Atkins books, or Alfons Åberg as he’s known in the original Swedish titles, are written and illustrated by Gunilla Bergström.
Gunilla Bergström (1942-2021) was a pioneer in many ways, thematically as well as artistically. She was the first to introduce the collage technique as a storytelling method in picture books and the first to write about divorce for children. Very early on in the world of children’s literature she used a father instead of a mother as the primary parent in her stories. Gunilla Bergström’s stories are psychological mini dramas set in everyday life, often with magical elements.
In Scandinavia, Alfie Atkins is established as a classic among children, parents and grandparents.
- The first Alfie Atkins book was published in 1972. Since then, more than 25 stories have been published
- Over 10 millon books sold
- Translated to over 40 languages
- TV shows and films
- Audio books and game apps
- Featured in theater and musicals
- Awarded Best Animated Short Film at the 2023 Macau International Children Film Festival
All images: © Bok-Makaren AB